Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Nature Notes - Butterflies and Lilies!

I thought that orange lilies from my yard would compliment the three different types of orange and black butterflies that I have photographed lately! These were all photographed in Ohio.



The butterfly at the top right is the Red Admiral.

The second butterfly in the second row is the Eastern Comma.

The big one at the bottom is the Tawny Emperor.


I had so much fun identifying these with a site that I found. You check off boxes that match the characteristics of the butterfly and - Presto! - they tell you what it is!




I have prepared this post so as to participate in Nature Notes over at RamblingWoods.com. Click on the link and check it out! Its a great meme, and the RamblingWoods.com site itself is a great place to ramble around!

14 comments:

  1. I wasn't familiar with the Tawny Emperor and now I will know what it looks like..I love the orangy collage Libby....Thank you for participating in this week's Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle!! I used that identifier site to figure out what the heck it was!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful shots of the butterflies and lilies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carver! It was fun making the collage :)

      Delete
  3. Cool identification method! I like the butterflies in combination with the lilies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found an identifier site like that for wildflowers too!

      Delete
  4. absolutely beautiful...love the way you've collaged this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Decided to run w the orange theme!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful collage of pretty lilies and butterflies!

    Red Admiral is expected here as well.
    I look forward to many butterflies come.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of Red Admirals this year! Not as many of the other two...

      Delete
  6. Beautiful captures of the butterflies and the lilies are pretty. Lovely mosaic, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colours are scrumptious! Isn't it a vivid time of year? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. came via Jama's post. I am in Singapore, and so very hot.

    ReplyDelete